Kiwi Airline Case Study
This is an important case for learning about successful and unsuccessful entry strategies.
The Kiwi Case Study was provided:Kiwi Airlines CS
The analysis is here:Chapter 12
On to Kodak Takes on Polaroid (Chapter 13 in Competition Demystified).
Housekeeping: I will return to posting next weekend. Meanwhile, you can work on two case studies.
Chapter 12: Fear of Not Flying: Kiwi Enters the Airline Industry
HBS Case:Kiwi Airlines CS
- Describe Kiwi’s entry strategy and explain why it was initially successful. Where did they go wrong and why?
- What is the evidence that there were no existing barriers to entry in the airline industry in the 1980s?
Kodak vs. Polaroid
Chapter 13: No Instant Gratification: Kodak Takes on Polaroid.
HBS Case:Kodak vs Polaroid CS
- Detail Polaroid’s competitive advantages in the instant photography market.
- What were Polaroid’s responses to Kodak’s launch into the instant photography market?
- Was there an alternative approach for Kodak that might have been more successful?
- If you were running Kodak in the 1970s, what strategy would you have followed—given all the benefits of hindsight?