I placed several books and videos on accounting, business analysis, case studies, and Austrian economics in the cloud. You can start reading the blog from the beginning and see the links or use the search box on this blog. Type in Videos or Books or Greenblatt or Greenwald in the search box and several links will appear.
- The Investment Checklist by Michael Shearn
- Contrarian Investment Strategies: The Psychological Edge by David Dreman
- FREE CAPITAL by Guy Thomas
- Hidden Champions of the 21st Century: Success Strategies of Unknwn World Market Leaders by Hermann Simon (2009)
- Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
- The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
- The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer–with the passage of the expanded “Patriot” Act, the U.S. President can arbitrary detain, torture and execute American citizens without Habeas Corpus and Due Process provided that they are “Terrorists.” How convenient. I don’t like my neighbor because his dog uses my motorcycle like a fire-hydrant. He makes the perfect terrorist suspect don’t you think? …….So I want to study the lessons of Fascism and totalitarianism.
- The Great A&P and The Struggle for Small Business America by Marc Levinson. This books shows that corporate goliaths are not immune to the insistent forces of competition and change. Perhaps I can find a case study here.
- The Ikea Edge by Anders Dahlvig. Some people read Wall Street Research, but I find business histories on companies and CEO’s a great education for studying competitive advantage and how companies evolve–the inevitable ebb and flow of success and failure.
- Uprising by George Magnus. Will emerging markets shape or shake the world economy? I have traveled and worked in Brazil, Cuba and other countries. I am not so enthused as the public hype about emerging markets. Take China–how does a dictatorial regime that is directing the banking sector (similar to the Fed in the US) not go through a massive boom/bust? Brazil’s business regulations require 200,000 pages of fine print. Absurd! No wonder large segments of the economy operate on the black market. Using the best lawyers, we opened a business in Brazil after ten months–ten months of paperwork, delays and denial.
- Competitive Strategy by Michael Porter(1980)
- Interpretation of Financial Statements by Benjamin Graham
- Thornton O’Glove’s Quality of Earnings
- Analysis for Financial Management by Robert C. Higgins
- Financial Statement Analysis and Security Analysis by Stephen N. Penman
- Financial Shenanigans: How to Detect Accounting Gimmicks & Frauds in Financial Reports (3rd. Edition) by Howard Shillit
- The Big Short by Michael Lewis
- The Economics of Inflation by Constantino Bresciani-Turroni
- When Money Dies: The Nightmare of Deficit Spending, Devaluation, and Hyperinflation in Weimar Germany by Adam Fergusson (1975, Reprint 2010)
Blogs & Websites
www.newyorker.com (good, in-depth business stories)
Mises Academy (http://academy.mises.org/)